Wednesday 25 January 2012

Beauty and the Beast

I've come to realise over the years, that the trick to staying sane in those "stella" moments, is to find the beauty in it.  That's not always easy when you want to throw your hands up in the air and cry, but there is beauty to be found in all circumstances.....

As a mother of 4 girls, I often feel tired and frustrated...after all kids can suck your life dry at times, (bless them!), but its often in those moments that we are taught life's valuable lessons!

Now for example, me?  I'm a perfectionist.  Did not ask to be one, do not particularly like being one, infact it's my downfall at times, but it's something I manage, and work on constantly...the "letting go" and not taking myself so seriously!

So one thing I am working on is letting go and not expecting things to go so perfectly all the time. 

One example is allowing my children to help with daily activities, like cook dinner with me.  I have mostly taken on that role over the years, WITHOUT enlisting the help of the troops....but after all, "6 people live here, 6 people should pitch in and help out", (that is another catch cry of mine when I feel overwhelmed and under valued).




There are lessons to be had here people!  Teaching younger children to take part in daily chores is an invaluable lesson.  Yes I know, its not always going to get done "perfectly", but it gets done, and in that process they are learning....don't forget, we are raising adults (future ones at that), but still adults. 

Its in these moments you find the beauty.  Sometimes the beauty is very small and you really have to squint hard to see it, but its there, and when you find it....wow...its like gold. 

Now this is the tricky bit.  With every beauty, there is a beast!....




Now as a perfectionist, the beast for me is the messy part.  The part that MUST happen in the process to find the beauty.  That's always been the tricky part for me.  But I am learning to tame that beast.  After all you cannot have Beauty without the Beast!

Yes there will be mess, yes it looks worse before it looks better, but don't forget people, to find the beauty, you have to get past the beast.

Life is messy, it is full of our "stella" moments.  Every day we encounter them, its how we deal with them that can make it "Beautiful" or "Beastly".

Oh, and if all else fails.......Homemade ice cream, always hits the spot!



1 comment: