Thursday 26 January 2012

Simple Pleasures

There is a lot to be said about simplifying life.  


The "rat race" is getting rattier, people are getting busier, and chasing the dream, but I have noticed most people are not happy...at least part of the time.   What does make us happy?


I don't know of anyone on their death-bed who wishes they spent more time at work, or more money accumulating more things....it really is quite an empty existence, as most of us know things do not make us happy.


So where do we find happiness.  All of us are different, and will be wired differently as to what "floats our boat".  I have noticed that when I simplified my life, went back to basics, I started to notice the "little things" in my every day.  Things that used to go by the wayside when I was too busy to notice them.  But when you slow down, they stand out.



I have never noticed how beautiful watermelon could be, as I was always too busy to notice.  It was even nicer, the fact that I shared it with a friend!


Even slowing down to talk to the animals can be nice....(no I am not Dr Doolittle, nor do I possess special powers to understand them).  But talking to the cat or dog, can add a smile to the face.   It takes more muscles to smile than it does to frown, so actually you are exercising at the same time.....thats got to be good?




A happy cat means a happy house!


Just sitting in the garden, coffee in hand and a cat who is actually smiling whilst basking in the sun is definately a simple pleasure....it doesn't cost anything, but you can't put a price on it either, its priceless.  Also, you never know when a simple pleasure is going to appear!  They come and go, even if you are too busy to notice, you may not see them, but they are there.  To see them requires you to still yourself enough to hear or see them (like fairies in the garden!)


The more you look for simple pleasures, the more you will see them.  And you will also notice, not everyone has the power to slow down and see them, its a special skill that you have to practice.  




Look at this beautiful face!  Who can resist those puppy eyes.  Everyday I face this simple pleasure.  This is one of those investments that keep on keeping on.  Yes there is a certain amount of upkeep, feeding, walking, entertaining, cleaning up, but a simple pleasure to have in life!


What are your simple pleasures?  Allow yourself to find them in your everyday life.  We all have them, you just have to slow down and look for them.


Don't look too hard, just when you think you are bending down to appreciate the simple pleasure of pink flowers, you end up with a "stella moment" !





2 comments:

  1. Haha, now for a moment, I thought that was chocolate on the grass!!

    Beautifully written Kel! I am going to look really hard today for my moments, amongst the nappies and cleaning and mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful not to pick up the chocolate off the grass!!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

      Delete