Wednesday 28 March 2012

40...The New 20 Something!

Well, it's here!


Yes...Today is 28 March...and 40 years ago today, the most beautiful, bouncing, 10lb baby girl was brought into this world by a Pommie Couple, who's life was made complete!






That's right people...I am turning the corner today, and am no longer 20 something...but now officially 40!


When did that happen?  Have I been in a coma for past 20 years?


In my head I still feel young...I have memories of me as a child and feel exactly the same....but whenever I walk past a mirror, I catch an older lady out of  the corner of my eye....Don't know who she is!


Sometimes I don't resemble me at all!  And other times,  well.....


"I still got it" ! Hmmmmm....


But to say it.....40.......well  I remember my dad's 40th birthday party....all his "OLD" friends were invited, and they had "OLD" people fun!


Ok, so I was only 14 at the time, but not the point....in my mind I was never going to be 40!


When you are 20, you are still young, but adult enough to be included in the fun "adult" stuff that we all thought we were missing out on....But still young and way too cool to worry about other people and their troubles.


By mid 20's alot of people settle into married life and create a few bundles of joy in the process....


When you officially hit 30, you've made it.  You are no longer classed as "Irresponsible" 20, but now a sensible, adult who now contributes to society.  But still, in your 30's you still havn't arrived at yourself!


What do I mean?  Well, we still are not comfortable enough in our own skin to NOT worry about what other people think.  We still bear the heavy responsibility of providing for and raising our families.  We squeeze in some down time, but we are still 30 and responsible.


Now, around 37, I noticed gravity was really taking it's toll on certain body parts, and when I laughed and smiled, new lines magically appeared at the corners of my mouth and eyes!   And then you have the WHAT THE? moments, when things would appear that you were not expecting.....ladies you know what I mean!  Hideous things our bodies do to betray us!


But, I noticed another thing has happened.   I have almost arrived at myself!


Being 40 means you can love the skin you are in, saggy and all!  It's a time when you stop worrying about what people are "thinking" and "saying" about you, because you realise, life is short, and why waste energy on trivial stuff!


I think we encounter our own mortality at this age, and realise how FAST time is going, watching our kids grow up when we are remembering ourselves at that age....and it doesn't seem that long ago!


40 is an age when you can say NO to people and not feel guilty about it....all the torment of that in my 20's and 30's, and now, so sad...NO!


Don't get me wrong...I am not depressed to turn 40, I just cannot wrap my mind around saying the number, because when I was younger, 40 was OLD.


Obviously my thoughts on this have greatly changed!  I am obviously still young and gorgeous, and people literally don't believe me when I say I am 40, and their mouths gape open, and they are stunned and surprised, and have to see my birth certificate, and still ask me for I.D. when I enter a licensed premesis....


YAWN....time to wake up from that dream!   


Happy Birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday dear STELLA, happy birthday to me.....Hip Hip...stella,  Hip Hip....stella!


:)





8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Kelly! Loving your posts, enjoy your special day xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to you....Have a fabulously spoiling day.! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Kelly! i can soooo relate to this, as i have just over a week to go before i turn.... well... you know (40).
    Have a fantastic day and make sure your family spoil you!!
    xxx Dayna

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well said Kell, yep 40 for me was so liberating, you know who you are, where you have come from & where you are going. No grey areas now & if I don't want to then its a firm but polite No! I am who I am, your approval is not necessary!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cool Kel, yes the year of the big 40 for us 72 babies!!! ahhh I get to wait til the end of the year for mine, still in my 30's woo hoo.
    Happy Birthday Kelly and I love the pic of your gorgeous mum (Hi Val) and you as a bubba, Love your primary, high and now facebook friend Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Kelly Have A Funtastic Day.

    Mr Anderson :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy birthday you gorgeous thing....just like your mum....amazing looking family.... :) MA XXXhe hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Thanks Everyone....I really am spoilt, and glad you are all having a good laugh at my expense!! Love it xxx Kelly

    ReplyDelete