Friday 3 February 2012

The Art of Relaxation!

Relax....Relax....Relax...!

Something I have been doing for the last 8 weeks of school holiday's and have now had the harsh reality of the "Wake Up Geoff" slap in the face.  Yes the romance is over and it's back to the grind of routine and life.

It's funny but believe it or not, I am actually not very good at relaxing.....shhhh
don't tell anyone!  If you ask my DH (Dear Husband), he would confirm this fact.

There is infact an art to relaxing!  Its true.

As a perfectionist and mum of 4 girls, I have been conditioned in the "army" of motherhood to do do do all the time.  If you are a parent you will understand this.  There have been many a quote to back up this theory.

"So many children, so little time",  "When the kids grow up...then I can do so and so",  "after I've cooked tea, washed the dishes, ironed the uniforms, signed the school notes, made the lunches, fed the animals, performed my wifely duties...(did I just say that?)...."

And as a parent I find myself still standing and clearing up past 8 o clock at night.  No matter how organised I am.

Not many parents put themselves first, and if you are one of them that have worked this balance out, then I salute you!

When my DH and I go on holiday together, he's the one lounging around in bed all day reading a book, I can do this for a few hours only, then I fidget, and need to do something...usually cleaning even on holidays (it's a sickness!).

So what are your favourite ways of relaxing?

My first thing I like to do is read.  Since getting a Kindle for Christmas, I have not been able to put it down.  It's like having a bookstore in your hand, and with a flick of the switch here, and a button press there, you have an instant best seller at your fingertips, all at a fraction of the cost.  Even better still the Library is free.  Oh and yes, the red kindle cover makes you read faster!



My other place to relax is in the hammock.  Infact, it's where I go to hide when I don't want the kids in my face!  Don't tell them.....  My hammock is a double hammock, in which I can wrap myself up in, and if I lie really still in it, no one suspects I'm in there.....I can hear them walking around the house calling "mum"..."where are you".  Ahhh, love the hammock.



Another tip you might want to try, is changing your name to "dad".  They never call him!!!!!  (Am I right?)

Anyway, back to relaxing.

I have a favourite spot in the house, my red lounge.  Of course you know by now red is my favourite colour, red makes you relax faster!


Some in my household would say "there is too much red", but I beg to differ...you can never have too much red!

You might notice others in my family relax quite well also.  There is something to be said about having a pool...for me it's invaluable.  Yes it's alot of work, yes it can cost money to maintain....but the joy it brings to our family far outweighs the cost.  It especially comes in handy for 2 homeschooled kids who get fidgity after sitting at the kitchen table for 4 hours doing schoolwork.....they need to let off steam somehow.



You might also notice the other member of my family, the furry kind!  He has made relaxing an art.  Notice how he spreads himself so flat, we could actually turn him into a rug in the future.....look out Olly! 
Like a bear skin in the den!  Now that might work!



If all else fails to relax me.  There are two trusty friends I have, that no matter what happens, they always cheer me up.  I could be having a very bad day, and they are there for me.  I could be suffering high anxiety, and they offer help.
Anyone who knows me knows who they are......

I even named my cat after one of these friends....

Thats right "Cadbury" chocolate, and "coffee".  My two trusty companions that get me through those "Stella Moments"

How do you relax?

3 comments:

  1. Bernadette in cold England3 February 2012 at 21:48

    Hi Stella ,
    Was passed the link to your website by your lovely mum.
    I have now in my old age moved 80 miles away from my kids and miss them ( sometimes ) so those moments do arrive when you have lots ahh moments and can eat beans on toast for dinner and nobody raises their eyebrows and asks where the roast is .I love Red too and it is said by asian people to be the colour of prosperity .
    You have a natural gift for writing and should do a weekly column in your local paper for all to enjoy .
    Bernadette in cold England

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bernadette,
    Lovely to hear from you and thank you for those kind words....nothing wrong with beans on toast for dinner! Ha Ha. You are welcome to join up and follow me on this blog...I will try to bring a little warmth to your day in frosty UK....oh to feel the cold when it's 40 degrees here...STELLA xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bernadette in cold England13 February 2012 at 18:54

    Loving this and the loo one cracked me up - where we used to live we had a problem with our loo on a almost daily basis ( depending on how many "friends " the kids had staying over ) and it required a special kind of plunger to clear it ( the muscles on my right arm are def firmer than those on the left ) - I was obsessed especially if the in laws came as they are kinda refined so as soon as they used the loo was up there checking it was still flowing - husband who hates plumbing said this kind of loo was always the same after seeking advice from a plumber and I didn't want to spend a fortune replacing it especially as a specific colour which is no longer in existence and matched the bath and wash basin and knew we were one day going to escape from there ( and the kids and their friends ) .Our new loo here is perfect and it never fails to thrill me when it flushes - sad eh but whatever rocks your boat .

    ReplyDelete