Thursday 9 February 2012

To Lebanon and Back Before Lunch!

Morning's are so busy for me.  I seem to be getting up earlier and earlier, so I can fit everything in.  I'm only coherent after my second mug of Joe.  But even my coffee machine doesn't want to work at 5am!  I like getting up before everyone else so I can think and be still, before the chaos of the family morning routine. 


DH (Dear Husband) is gone by 5am, so it's just me and the silence ( and the cat, 2 dogs, and 4 kids), but still silence for a while.


So the busyness has increased for me since deciding to homeschool 2 of my daughters....My hands are tied pretty much all morning, making sure I am around during schooling.  But in that time, there is alot going on....


Washing on the go, toilets wiped over, animals fed, walked (and poop a scooped), bread made, meat out to thaw for dinner, some sort of baking done for morning tea, beds made, me dressed and coherent (2nd coffee), lunches made, and if I'm really lucky, time to pick my nose!


Phew!  I'm exhausted just writing all that!  Do I really do it all....YES BECAUSE


I'm Superwoman!  Or Martyr Woman is more like it!


So today I decided to take a quick trip to Lebanon and make sure I was back by lunchtime!


That's right, I made lebanese bread.  It took me 20 minutes all up and the result....hmmmm  you decide!



If you are like me (a frugalist) you might balk at paying $5 for 4 pieces of lebanese bread, or if you are lucky pick some up on special.  Mind you, I always have to buy 2 packets, as 6 only does one round of lunches or dinners.


So I searched high and low for a recipe, and found one.


YOU WILL LOVE THIS....


I make around 8 flatbreads for around $1.50 if that!


Yep,   you heard correctly....HOW?


Let me tell you.


There are three types of flour you can use #1 Atta Flour (found in Pantry Man, its a mixture of fine wholemeal and spelt flours, middle eastern)
#2 plain flour, #3 plain wholemeal flour.


Here's the recipe


500g Flour
1 Tbs Oil
1 tsp dry yeast
2 tsp salt


Directions


Place all ingredients into either a "Thermomix","Bread machine", "Mixer"


Mix into a dough, and mix (knead) for 3 minutes.
Form into a round ball and wrap in a clean t towel (rest 5 minutes)
While resting you are heating up a non stick pan on the stove, but don't oil it
Divide dough into 8 round balls and roll out with a roller until paper thin and flat
Place flat round into a pan (medium heat), place lid or alfoil over the top to steam it while its cooking
Flip it over and cook the other side
Store it between a clean t towel so it keeps on steaming after you've cooked it
You will know it's done when its brown on both sides but not stiff and burnt



Voila......Fresh Lebanese bread ready for lunch in 20 minutes.


Then what?


Well, I made pizza wraps for lunch.  Dolmio sauce spread over the bread, add cheese, ham, pineapple, tomato, olives and anchovies (if you like them YUM)
roll it up and cook in a press or pan on the stove till crispy.

 
Or


A lebanese roll with salad, Cheese, Ham, whatever filling you like.


Then for afternoon Tea when the kids are starving again, cut a lebanese up into  triangles, bake in an over for 10 minutes and have dip and chips for a quick snack, or nachos.


Place the left over ones in a large zip bag and into the freezer.



Easy Peasy.   To Lebanon and Back all before lunch.........


Now, I have one left after all that, and I am looking forward to having it to myself today....
Hang on a minute, it's gone.....Whoever ate it, put the empty packet into the freezer.....S T E L L A !!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment