Thursday 2 February 2012

Don't String up the Cat!

Now remember, when you read my blog, you have to consider that it has taken me years to learn these tid bits of information, and all you perfectionists out there...I don't want you trying all these things on the same day!  I know what it's like, when I get a bee in my bonnet, I have to do it all!!!  S T E L L A...

Ok, so another idea I had that will help the dollar stretch is homemade washing detergent.  What?, you ask.  Well granted its readily available in the supermarkets, but not very cheap. 

I have stumbled past some recipes which I have tried, tested and like.  Now here's the thing.  I swing like a yo yo.....When I have to tighten the belt, or get a bee in my bonnet (which ever comes first), I am frugal and make everything.  Then there are times when my other personality kicks in....the "I can't be bothered" Kelly.  She rarely visits, but when she does, she doesn't want to do an awful lot.  So not an awful lot gets done.....get my drift?

So it's swings and roundabouts....

I know people who live like this constantly, I live like this 80/20.  So each to their own I say!

Ok grab your coffee and lets go...


My favourite washing detergent is the liquid one.  I have tried homemade powder and liquid.  The liquid has lasted me over 6 months and I still have months worth left, and I have 6 people in my family, so washing pretty much gets done daily or at least every other.

Recipe #1 - Liquid Laundry Detergent

1 cup soap flakes (Lux) or grate 1 bar laundry soap
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup Lectric Soda (not crystals)

Mix them all in a pot ontop of the stove with 3 cups water.  Gently boil until the soap has melted.  Take off the stove and add to a large bucket.  Fill the bucket to the top with hot water and stir them together.  You will notice it will start to congeal and thicken, thats good!  Add some essential oils, your favourite ones.  You can have your washing smelling like your're favourite scent!

Cool down for about 1/2 hour, and then store them into old milk cartons, coke bottles, whatever you can get your hands on.  Then store it away.  It will last you for 6-12 months.  You only need 1/4 cup per load.  It will separate in the bottles like a science experiment gone wrong, don't worry this is normal, just shake it well before each load. 



So it makes 10 litres for about $3, and if you bought 10 litres of liquid detergent from your local supermarket, it would cost you $30 plus.  So obviously great savings.

Recipe #2 Washing Powder

3 cups borax
3 cups Lectric Soda (not crystals)
3 cups Lux soap flakes (or grate a bar of laundry soap)
3 cups Nappy san (or equivalent)

Mix together and store away.  Use 1/4 cup per load.

Now all these ingredients are readily available in the supermarket, and most of them have fairly plain packaging, but if you look hard they are there, and cheap!

With the liquid detergent, I add a lid of nappy san into the wash when I am doing whites, just to boost it a little. 

Another way to save big bucks, is to use the washing line.  I am shocked at how many people are putting their laundry into the dryer, on a hot day!  STELLA.

Even in winter I hang my washing, on large portable clothes horses, and wheel them in and out depending on rain etc.  I cannot bring myself to use my dryer unless its an absolute emergency, or a sneaky teenager try's to use it for 1 piece of underwear!!! (I know!)

I know it can be hard and time consuming, but getting into a routine can help.  I wash at night, and hand it out first thing in the morning, then bring it in during late afternoon!  You will notice my trusty red octopuss on the line. (it has to be red, it's my favourite colour, and red does make you hang faster!!)
Even a 7 year old can hang underwear and bathers on these things.....get them in ikea.


Whilst I was sharing these things with you, and taking pictures, for some reason my cat was in a very bad mood.  Perhaps it was because I was too busy and ignoring him, perhaps his food was not put infront of him quick enough!   But as you can see in the picture, he is NOT HAPPY JAN.  So just asking.........
When you hang the washing, is it wrong to string up the cat?



Stella......................

2 comments:

  1. Great Kell! So what is lectric soda? Is it easy to find?
    Yes I am guilty of the dryer drying! I also use it to iron my clothes, as I think ironing is a complete wast of my day lol! Too busy to stand behind an ironing board (boring)!
    But I will make my own washing powder & see how it goes.
    Do you have a good one for dish washing powder that actually cleans yr dishes and leaves no residue?

    Cheers gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not yet, but am thinking of changing to an organic one....will keep you posted :)

      Delete